Critical Reflection

Module Learning:

Before entering this course, my goals are to improve my oral skills and self-confidence by having more chances to present in front of my class after the end of my polytechnic life, with appropriate body language and start to not depend on the slides or scripts to deliver an impactful presentation. On my first attempt without a script for a draft presentation, I could not make words and forgot what my sentences were. I was so used to looking at my scripts that I was able to present fluently and with confidence but did not put in the effort to understand the contents. Furthermore, I made the audience sound like I was not familiar with the topic and unprepared beforehand, thus they are not following my presentation. However, this presentation came as a reminder that I can still perform just like my presentations with a script if I prepare and practice more. Thankfully this embarrassing moment only happened during lesson time and not in the actual work environment. Since I have a really hard time remembering the scripts, I took another approach by being more engaging with my audience and focusing on the key points that will attract their attention. In addition to having more experience in oral skills, I also learnt Dewey's Model of reflective thought, Rodgers' reflective cycle, paraphrasing, summarising and report writing with useful everyday life skills. In the end, these skills and techniques I have acquired over the Effective Communication course helped improve my report writing skills and communication skills which will be very useful and important in the long term. 


Project Learning:

My technical report with my team members was U-Lugg, a new airport baggage carousel system for Changi Airport. In the beginning, due to the covid situation, I need to adapt to using online media platforms to have face to face communications while also requiring me to learn basic functions of zoom meetings for an easier time with this new environment. At first, meeting up with my newly assigned team will be a hassle to deal with as understanding one another is the next big step toward better team communication efficiency. Adapting to the new group does take some time, but my team was friendly with me and I got along pretty well. The brainstorming section was messy as we all have our unique ideas to share on the table, eventually, we all agreed on the idea we all are familiar with. In the group assignments we each took a role to fulfil tasks to finish on the deadline , if one of us finished our task early we go around to help others which helped us to finish our task efficiently. When the deadline is close and we all are tight with our exam periods in the same week, we constantly remind each other to push ourselves to finish our work so we can focus on our important exams. This bonded us over a short week period and we are satisfied with our teamwork. During the week when we need to present to the whole class, we rehearsed to mimic how will our actual presentation would be like. I have trouble memorising my script and starting a lot when I am nervous, my teammates suggested ways to deliver the lines that suited my style and praised me for improving in a short time which boosted my self-confidence. 

Through this module, I have learned a ton of great skills that will help me in the long term. At the start, I was too fast and reliant on my script that I did not look at the bigger spectrum of understanding, slowly and steadily deliver my speeches to my audience with confidence. I truly thank this module and Professor Brad Blackstone for correcting my faults, and errors and leading me on the right route. Once again, I hope we cross paths again.

Comments

  1. Thanks very much, Peerasak, for this richly detailed critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed both module learning and the project in depth while focusing on various aspects of the work you did, the challenges met and the skills achieved. You've also shared your experience with clear authenticity. In addition, you've written with good fluency.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!
    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Formal Letter

Unit 1 Task 3 Paraphrasing